I picked this room as my sewing room because it had this wall of closets. Originally, they had shelves inside them. I quickly realized that the storage space at the top was too high up for me. Even with a ladder I didn’t feel comfortable – the boxes were heavy and I was having to reach up over my head. The shelving didn’t work at all for my fabric, etc. so we took those out soon after we moved in a little over two years ago. Every once in a while I would mention to Dave that if he was in the mood for a deconstruction project he could take down these closets. The time came a couple weeks ago. I’m glad I thought to take the photo above after he spent a Sunday afternoon dismantling. The space on the right had a twin closet to the one on the left of the photo.
Everything gone and we could tell right away that it was the right thing to do. The room felt so much bigger and more light come from the east facing window.
Above and below – the same wall freshly painted.
This room was an apple green. This moonlight white sure brightens it up and is much better for letting my colorful fabrics take center stage. The inset shelves will soon be full of things – baskets of fabric, projects, magazines and other miscellaneous quilting supplies. I’m waiting until they are not just dry to the touch but cured. I’ve learned the hard way not to put things of any weight on a newly painted surface.
I don’t have as much time to quilt here with all the house and garden chores, but I still find it relaxing and fun. I’m still learning how to garden – quilting is a much more comfortable endeavor for me.
Thanks, Dave, for all the hard work. I love it!